This is an example of a Junior Accountant job description for a reference when building your resume. Analyze the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers would look for in this field.
As a Junior Accountant, your primary responsibility is to provide support in the finance and accounting department of an organization. You will assist in maintaining financial records, preparing financial reports, and performing various accounting tasks under the guidance of senior accounting staff. Your role involves learning and gaining practical experience in accounting principles and processes.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- General Accounting Support: Assist in the maintenance of financial records, including recording transactions, preparing journal entries, and updating the general ledger. Ensure accuracy and completeness of financial data.
- Accounts Payable and Receivable: Assist in processing accounts payable invoices, including verifying accuracy, obtaining necessary approvals, and ensuring timely payments. Support accounts receivable activities, such as invoicing, collections, and reconciliations.
- Financial Reporting Assistance: Assist in the preparation of financial statements, reports, and schedules. Contribute to the analysis of financial data, identifying trends, and providing support for decision-making processes.
- Bank Reconciliation: Assist in reconciling bank statements with general ledger accounts to ensure accurate cash balances. Assist in investigating and resolving discrepancies or variances identified during the reconciliation process.
- Month-end and Year-end Close Support: Assist in the month-end and year-end closing processes, including preparing reconciliations, adjusting entries, and supporting schedules. Participate in the preparation of financial reports and analysis.
- Expense Management: Review and process employee expense reports, ensuring compliance with company policies and proper approvals. Assist in verifying accuracy, allocating expenses, and reconciling accounts as necessary.
- Financial Analysis Support: Provide support in gathering, organizing, and analyzing financial data. Assist in the preparation of financial models, budgets, forecasts, and variance analyses.
- Fixed Assets Support: Assist in tracking, recording, and reconciling fixed assets. Contribute to maintaining accurate records of acquisitions, disposals, depreciation, and amortization.
- Audit Assistance: Provide support in internal and external audit activities by preparing necessary documentation, responding to inquiries, and participating in audit fieldwork. Assist in addressing audit findings and implementing corrective actions.
- Compliance and Recordkeeping: Ensure compliance with accounting principles, policies, and regulatory requirements. Support the maintenance of accurate and organized financial records, files, and documentation in accordance with recordkeeping policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Relevant certifications are a plus.
- Some experience in accounting or finance through internships, coursework, or entry-level positions.
- Basic understanding of accounting principles and financial processes.
- Proficiency in accounting software and Microsoft Excel.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in financial data analysis and reporting.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Willingness to learn and develop accounting knowledge and skills.
- Familiarity with accounting regulations and compliance requirements.
This job description provides a general overview of the responsibilities and qualifications typically associated with the role of a Junior Accountant. Actual job descriptions may vary depending on the organization’s industry, size, and specific requirements.