We compiled a listing of our posts for the top employers in the largest cities…
The following is a sample job description for a Design Engineer to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
A design engineer is responsible for the development of new products and services. They work with a team of engineers, designers and other specialists to bring a product or service to life. The design engineer will typically have an understanding of the business side of their project as well as the technical requirements needed to build it. The design engineer will also need strong communication skills in order to manage their team effectively.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Conducting research on existing technologies and designing new products using them.
- Analyzing data from existing products to find ways to improve them or create new ones.
- Developing prototypes based on their designs using software such as AutoCAD or SolidWorks (programs used by engineers).
- Creating prototypes using 3-D printers or laser cutters (programs used by designers).
- Conducts research and development work to advance the design, performance and production of products.
- Creates drawings and specifications for new products.
- Tests prototypes of new designs in order to improve their performance.
- Using computer-aided design (CAD) software to create and modify designs.
- Conduct feasibility studies for new technologies or product features.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar field.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the field working on projects that involved designing new products or technologies.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to create designs using CAD software (SolidWorks preferred).
- Excellent understanding of mechanical engineering principles, as well as electrical and software engineering principles.
- Demonstrated ability to create designs that are manufacturable and cost effective.