Computer Systems Administrator Job Description
The following is a sample job description for a Computer Systems Administrator to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
Computer systems administrators are responsible for ensuring that the computer systems used by an organization are secure, well maintained, and up to date. These IT professionals must also be able to troubleshoot problems with those systems and implement new applications as needed.
A Computer Systems Administrator may also have duties in areas such as network administration, system administration, and software installation. In addition to maintaining the company’s computers and networks, these individuals may also be required to serve as technical support staff for users within the organization.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Maintain and update computer systems.
- Troubleshoot network and hardware problems.
- Install, configure, and test software programs to ensure they operate correctly with the network.
- Monitor network performance to ensure optimal efficiency in order to maximize productivity and minimize downtime.
- Document network changes for future reference so that other administrators can easily follow along with their work if needed during an emergency situation.
- Updating the operating system to include new features and security updates.
- Ensuring that all software is functioning properly on all computers across a network using troubleshooting techniques such as traceroute, ping, and TCP/IP utilities like netstat.
- Research new technologies and make recommendations about their use in the company.
- A bachelor’s degree in information technology or computer science; however, some companies may accept other majors with industry certifications or experience in lieu of the degree requirement.
- Experience working with various operating systems including Windows 7/8/10 as well as Linux operating system on a server or desktop environment.
- Knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP/IP, HTTP/S, DNS, FTP, SMTP.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and fix problems with any computer system, including hardware, software, and networking.
- Must have a working knowledge of all major operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and MacOS.
- Must be able to build computer systems from scratch and configure them for use by others.
- Must have strong communication skills and be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and make decisions on your own without being constantly supervised.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills (verbal and written).
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.