Clinical Social Worker Job Description
The following is a sample job description for a Clinical Social Worker to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
Social workers are people who work to improve the lives of individuals, families, and communities. They help people with their personal problems, whether it’s mental health issues or substance abuse. Social workers also help people with their financial issues and any other issues that are affecting their well-being.
Social workers may work in a variety of settings including hospitals, schools, private practice offices, mental health clinics and substance abuse treatment centers. Some social workers specialize in one area such as youth or adult counseling while others work in several areas such as family relations counseling or gerontology counseling. Social workers have many options when it comes to their career path as there are many different types of licenses required depending on what type of client, they plan on working with (e.g., mental health counselor).
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Provide individual, family, and group therapy to clients with emotional and social problems.
- Coordinate services for clients and participate in community outreach efforts to promote mental health.
- Conduct assessments of clients’ needs, including those related to substance abuse, mental health disorders, and developmental disabilities.
- Assess client needs and develop a treatment plan.
- Develop and implement therapeutic interventions to address the client’s presenting issues.
- Provide psycho-social support to clients and their families.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of client treatment plans.
- Communicate with all professionals involved in the client’s treatment plan.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information obtained while working with clients.
- Help clients find shelter and food when they are homeless or do not have enough money to pay for basic necessities like food or medical care.
- Perform individual assessments to determine whether each client has been subject to abuse or neglect.
- Provide counseling services for individuals who suffer from mental illness such as depression or anxiety disorders.
- Work with children who have been orphaned due to war or natural disasters.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field.
- Licensure as a Licensed Social Worker by the state in which you will be working, or be eligible to take the national licensure exam.
- May require a Master’s degree in social work (MSW) degree.
- Familiarity with the principles of social work and practice ethics is a must.
- Experience working with clients on a one-on-one basis.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a knack for critical thinking
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Be able to work in a high pressure and high stress environment.
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.