Benefits Manager Job Description
The following is a sample job description for a Benefits Manager to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
The Benefit Manager is responsible for managing the health benefits and insurance plans offered to employees, as well as assisting in the management of other employee-related services such as retirement plans, 401(k)s, and pension plans. The job includes analyzing current trends and legislation that may affect the company’s benefits program, creating proposals for new or revised programs based on those trends and laws, communicating those proposals to senior management and other stakeholders within the company, implementing approved changes to existing plans or programs as necessary, and providing regular reports on plan performance.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Prepare and update benefit plans (life, disability, and medical) in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Help employees with the benefits, including the reviewing the best combination of health, life, and disability insurance plans for their needs.
- Coordinate with third-party administrators and vendors to ensure that employees are getting the correct benefits packages and coverage.
- Ensure that benefits packages comply with all applicable laws and regulations, especially those regarding healthcare.
- Update benefit systems and payroll systems for employees’ selections and deductions.
- Review and approve any changes to the benefit plan as they arise, ensuring that they remain compliant with all applicable laws, including those related to health insurance coverage and other types of insurance coverage such as disability or life insurance.
- Review benefit plan costs and determine appropriate levels of coverage.
- Ensures that the company benefits program is up-to-date and provides a competitive advantage to employees.
- Develops and implements strategies to reduce health care costs and improve employee wellness.
- Develops and implements strategies to increase employee productivity.
- Coordinates with Human Resources, payroll, and accounting departments to ensure compliance with all employment laws.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role.
- Must have an understanding of the benefits industry and be able to apply that knowledge to your work as a benefit manager.
- Must have experience in data analysis, including use of spreadsheets, pivot tables, and other software tools.
- Must be familiar with the basic concepts of human resources management, including recruiting and hiring practices, employee training programs, performance evaluations, payroll administration, and employee relations issues.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with clients and coworkers.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be flexible and work in a fast paced environment.
- Able to work without direction.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google Docs, HRIS, benefit systems, etc.
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.