We compiled a listing of our posts for the top employers in the largest cities…
The following is a sample job description for a Software Engineer to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
Software engineers are responsible for designing, writing, and maintaining code for applications. They also perform quality assurance testing to ensure that the code they write functions as intended. The majority of software engineers work in a team environment. Their work is typically part of a larger project that involves many people with different skillsets.
Some software engineers specialize in specific areas such as database management or multimedia applications. Other software engineers focus on a particular type of programming language such as object-oriented programming or functional programming. Software engineers may also specialize in a particular platform such as Microsoft Windows or Linux operating systems.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Work with the team to design, develop, and implement software solutions.
- Write code that is readable, reusable, and testable.
- Perform unit testing and write automated tests when possible (using tools such as Selenium).
- Write documentation for new features or bug fixes.
- Collaborate with other engineers on architecture planning.
- Review technical documentation or communicating with clients or other employees with regard to their software-related needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, or a related field.
- At least one year of experience in software engineering roles.
- Proficiency in Java, Python, and/or C++.
- Experience using Git and GitHub.
- Experience with agile development methodologies (e.g., Scrum).
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work well independently as well as on a team.