Review this Server job description for a reference when building your resume. Review the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers would look for in this field.
A Server is a front-line member of the restaurant or hospitality staff responsible for providing exceptional customer service by taking orders, serving food and beverages, and ensuring an enjoyable dining experience for guests.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Greeting and Seating:
- Welcome guests as they arrive, assist with seating, and provide menus.
- Answer questions about menu items and daily specials.
- Order Taking:
- Take guest orders accurately, including food and beverage preferences.
- Ensure any dietary restrictions or special requests are conveyed to the kitchen.
- Food and Beverage Service:
- Serve food and drinks to guests with precision, adhering to proper service etiquette.
- Monitor tables to anticipate and fulfill guests’ needs, such as refilling drinks, providing condiments, or offering additional menu items.
- Table Setting and Clearing:
- Set and clear tables efficiently, ensuring a clean and organized dining area.
- Reset tables for the next guests in a prompt manner.
- Cash Handling:
- Handle guest payments, process credit card transactions, and return change accurately.
- Provide receipts and thank guests for their patronage.
- Upselling and Recommending:
- Suggest additional menu items, specials, or beverages to enhance the dining experience and increase sales.
- Provide recommendations based on guest preferences.
- Team Collaboration:
- Coordinate with kitchen staff and bartenders to ensure orders are prepared and served promptly.
- Communicate any guest requests or issues to restaurant management or colleagues.
- Cleanliness and Hygiene:
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness in the dining area, including wiping tables and ensuring clean tableware.
- Adhere to food safety and hygiene protocols.
- Guest Relations:
- Address guest concerns or complaints promptly and professionally.
- Ensure that guests have a positive and enjoyable dining experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience as a server is advantageous.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with restaurant POS systems and order entry.
- Knowledge of menu items, ingredients, and daily specials.
- Good memory and attention to detail.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Physical stamina to stand and walk for extended periods and lift trays and dishes.
Note: Server job descriptions can vary based on the type of restaurant or establishment, from fine dining to casual dining, cafes, and other food service settings.