The following is a sample job description for a Product Manager to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
A Product Manager is a person who drives the development of a company’s products. They work with the team to make sure their ideas are optimized for the most profit and revenue, and that they meet customer needs. The Product Manager’s job is to keep an eye on what the competition is doing, and help the team come up with new features that will set them apart from other companies.
Product managers will typically have experience in the field they’re working in, either as an engineer or as someone who has worked on similar products. They should be able to communicate clearly with their team members, so they can get feedback on how well their ideas are working out—and also whether or not there are any other problems that need attention before moving forward.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Define the vision and strategy for a specific product or service.
- Create a product roadmap that outlines the steps needed to develop and launch it.
- Ensure that all teams involved in creating the product are working toward the same goal and timeline.
- Monitor progress on all aspects of developing and launching a new product or feature.
- Be able to clearly communicate with stakeholders, including customers, vendors, partners, etc., about what they want out of their products/services and how they can help make it happen.
- Understand market dynamics and competitive landscape and make recommendations on product direction and positioning.
- Analyze market data to identify trends, opportunities, and risks.
- Manage the development of new products from conception through launch inclusive of business analysis for future product development needs.
- Determining pricing strategies, including optimizing the price-to-value ratio while being aware of competitors’ offerings.
- Ensuring that the product meets its intended purpose, is easy to use and understand, and solves customer problems effectively.
- Tracking goals, metrics, and progress toward achieving them throughout the development process.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business or related field.
- 3+ years of experience in product management in a technology company
- Expertise in one or more of the following: UI/UX design, data analysis, project management and/or process improvement
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and make decisions quickly.
- Must be able to work with designers and developers to create the best possible product.
- Must be able to lead a team of people who are responsible for different aspects of the product’s development.
- Must have experience working with software engineers and designers on projects that involve building new products or improving existing ones.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (including presentation skills).