Paralegal Job Description
The following is sample job description for a Paralegal to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
The paralegal provides legal research and writing services to attorneys. They conduct investigations for legal matters. The paralegal organizes documents in a manner that will facilitate discovery or trial proceedings. They track court filings and deadlines, review, analyze and write summaries of case history, prepare briefs, motions and other legal papers (including affidavits), provide advice on litigation issues including settlement strategy, and prepare subpoenas.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Drafting legal documents, such as wills and trusts
- Drafting contracts and agreements, including business plans, leases, deeds, contracts, and purchase orders
- Researching precedents and other legal resources
- Preparing briefs, motions, and other legal documents
- Advising clients on the enforceability of their rights under the law
- Researching and gathering information about cases
- Drafting legal documents for clients
- Communicating with other attorneys to find out what is necessary to get a legal case moving forward
- Providing support during trial proceedings
- Reviewing or preparing reports of the case history
- Managing client relationships and accounts
- Handling internal and external administrative tasks
- Analyzing legal documents to ensure accuracy
- Participating in court proceedings, both as an observer and as a representative of the client
- Bachelor’s degree in law or business administration from an accredited institution
- Two years of experience working as a legal assistant or secretary
- Three years of experience working as an office manager or clerical assistant
- Knowledge of federal and state laws.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize client needs over personal preferences
- Must be able to perform tasks that require accuracy and attention to detail
- Must be able to communicate effectively with clients, co-workers, and supervisors
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.