Mechanical Engineer Job Description
The following is a sample job description for a Mechanical Engineer to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
Mechanical engineers are responsible for the design, development, and operation of mechanical systems. They work in a wide range of industries and are often required to design and develop products that meet specific requirements. Mechanical engineers often work in teams with other engineers to create designs for new products or improve existing ones.
They may specialize in one or more of the following disciplines: combustion, heat transfer, controls, robotics, engines and powertrains, production operations management, manufacturing engineering, or materials science.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Designing and developing mechanical systems.
- Developing mechanical products and processes.
- Analyzing and testing mechanical systems.
- Developing plans for implementing new products or services.
- Testing prototypes and making sure they meet specifications set by clients or management.
- Testing the product to ensure it meets safety regulations.
- Documenting all testing procedures and results.
- Reporting any malfunctions or product defects to supervisors.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or similar field.
- A minimum of three years’ experience.
- Ability to identify problems and needs; creativity to produce solutions; critical thinking skills; problem resolution skills; teamwork abilities; computer programming skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience with 3D modeling software such as SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or Creo.
- Experience with 2D drafting software such as Adobe Illustrator or Inventor Professional.
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.