Health Information Manager Job Description
The following is a sample job description for a Health Information Manager (HIM) to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
The Health Information Manager is responsible for the management of health information in the organization. The Health Information Manager ensures that all health-related information is kept accurate, up to date and confidential. They work closely with healthcare professionals to ensure that they have access to patient records when needed. The Health Information Manager also ensures that the medical records are secure and that they can be accessed by authorized personnel only.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Managing the flow of information between doctors, nurses and other medical professionals
- Maintaining patient records and ensuring that all records are secure and up-to-date
- Creating new ways to organize and store health information
- Create policies for managing data quality and integrity
- Perform audits on patient records to ensure compliance with standards set by regulators
- Creating an effective system for collecting patient data from multiple sources
- Organizing this data into a format that can be easily accessed by physicians and other medical professionals
- Designing reports based on this data so it can be used by patients as well as administrators at hospitals and clinics
- Ensuring that the hospital is compliant with all federal regulations regarding patient confidentiality and HIPAA guidelines
- Must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in information science, health sciences, or a related field.
- Must have at least three years of experience as a Health Information Manager.
- Previous experience as a health information technician or other related role is required.
- Familiarity with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules and state privacy laws preferred.
- Knowledge of health information systems and software applications used in the healthcare industry preferred.
- Proficient in health information systems and MS Office.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.