The following is a sample job description for a Financial Advisor to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
A Financial Advisor is an individual who advises clients on how to manage their finances. The job description includes assessing the client’s current financial situation, making recommendations for improving it, and developing a plan to achieve those goals. As a Financial Advisor, you must be able to communicate effectively with your clients and understand their needs as well as explain complex concepts in simple terms.
Additional Financial Advisor resume strategies for this can be found here.
- Conduct financial planning and investment counseling for clients.
- Advise clients on such matters as the following: Investing in mutual funds, stocks, bonds, annuities, and other securities; retirement planning; estate planning; and income tax planning.
- Meeting with clients regularly to discuss their progress toward achieving their goals, as well as providing recommendations on how to improve it.
- Develop client relationships by providing investment and financial advice.
- Researching new investment opportunities for clients.
- Negotiating contracts with third parties such as insurance providers or banks – Providing advice regarding retirement planning; taxes; estate planning; college savings; and debt management.
- Review and update plans regularly.
- Monitor market performance, industry trends, regulatory developments, and economic forecasts to identify opportunities for portfolio enhancement.
- Recruit new clients and maintain client relationships by offering financial services, including investment management and retirement planning.
- BA/BS degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or other related field.
- Certifications as a Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Investment Counselor (CIC), and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA).
- 5+ years of experience as a Financial Advisor or relevant experience working with individuals and small businesses.
- Strong understanding of financial products and services, including retirement planning, education funding and insurance products.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with clients at all levels of the organization.
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial analysis tools including Excel, Access, and QuickBooks
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage multiple projects at once.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with others