The following is a sample job description for a Director of Project Development to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
The role of a Director of Project Development is to oversee the entire project development process, from identifying new project opportunities to executing and delivering successful projects. This senior leadership position involves strategic planning, business development, project management, and team management.
Additional resume strategies for this can be found here.
- Project Opportunity Identification: Identify and evaluate potential project opportunities aligned with the organization’s strategic goals and objectives. Conduct market research, analyze industry trends, and assess feasibility to determine the viability of new projects.
- Project Planning and Strategy: Develop comprehensive project plans, including project scope, timelines, budgets, resource allocation, and risk management strategies. Align project plans with organizational objectives and stakeholder expectations.
- Business Development: Identify and cultivate relationships with potential clients, partners, and stakeholders to generate new business opportunities. Lead negotiations and contract discussions with clients, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Financial Analysis and Feasibility Studies: Conduct financial analysis, including cost estimation, revenue forecasting, and return on investment calculations, to assess the financial viability of projects. Prepare feasibility studies and business cases for project proposals.
- Project Team Leadership: Manage a team of project managers and support staff throughout the project development process. Provide leadership, guidance, and mentoring to the team members to ensure successful project execution.
- Project Management: Oversee the execution of projects, monitoring progress, and ensuring adherence to project plans, budgets, and quality standards. Coordinate with cross-functional teams, consultants, and contractors to ensure seamless project delivery.
- Stakeholder Management: Engage and communicate with internal and external stakeholders, including clients, investors, regulatory authorities, and community representatives. Build and maintain strong relationships to ensure alignment and support for project development initiatives.
- Risk Management: Identify potential risks and develop risk mitigation strategies to minimize project-related risks. Monitor project risks throughout the development process and implement necessary contingency plans.
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations, permits, and environmental standards throughout the project development process. Liaise with regulatory authorities to obtain necessary approvals and permits.
- Project Evaluation and Reporting: Evaluate project outcomes and performance against established objectives, timelines, and budgets. Prepare and present regular progress reports, financial reports, and project status updates to senior management and stakeholders.
- Education and Experience: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field, such as business, engineering, or project management. Extensive experience in project development, including leadership roles overseeing complex projects.
- Project Development Expertise: In-depth knowledge of project development processes, methodologies, and best practices. Experience in identifying, evaluating, and executing a variety of projects across different industries.
- Leadership and Management Skills: Strong leadership abilities to inspire and motivate teams, drive project success, and foster a collaborative work environment. Experience in managing and developing a team of project professionals.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to align project development strategies with organizational goals and objectives. Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans for project development initiatives.
- Business Development and Negotiation: Proven track record in business development, client relationship management, and negotiation. Ability to identify and secure new project opportunities and successfully negotiate contracts and agreements.
- Financial and Business Acumen: Proficiency in financial management, budgeting, and cost control within a project development context. Understanding of business dynamics and the ability to align project development outcomes with financial goals.
- Communication and Influencing Skills: Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with stakeholders at all levels. Ability to communicate complex project information and concepts in a clear and persuasive manner.
- Problem-Solving and Decision-Making: Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to identify project issues, evaluate options, and make informed decisions. Ability to balance competing priorities and manage project constraints.
- Stakeholder Management: Strong stakeholder management skills to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to influence and negotiate to achieve project development objectives.
Remember that specific job descriptions for a Director of Project Development may vary depending on the organization, industry, and specific requirements. The above description provides a general overview of the responsibilities and qualifications typically associated with this role.