The following is a sample job description for a Director of Program Management to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
The role of a Director of Program Management is to oversee and manage the strategic planning, execution, and delivery of programs within an organization. This senior leadership position involves leading a team of program managers and ensuring that programs align with organizational goals and objectives.
Additional resume strategies for this can be found here.
- Strategic Program Planning: Develop and implement program management strategies, methodologies, and best practices aligned with the organization’s goals and objectives. Establish program management frameworks, processes, and tools to optimize program delivery.
- Team Leadership and Management: Provide leadership and guidance to a team of program managers, including hiring, training, mentoring, and performance management. Foster a collaborative and high-performing program management culture.
- Program Portfolio Management: Oversee the organization’s program portfolio, including prioritization, resource allocation, and capacity planning. Ensure alignment between programs and the organization’s strategic priorities.
- Program Governance: Establish and enforce program governance processes, including program initiation, approval, and monitoring. Ensure compliance with organizational policies, procedures, and regulatory requirements.
- Program Planning and Execution: Provide oversight and guidance on program planning, scoping, scheduling, budgeting, and resource allocation. Monitor program progress, identify risks and issues, and implement appropriate mitigation strategies.
- Stakeholder Management: Collaborate with key stakeholders, including executives, department heads, and cross-functional teams, to ensure effective communication, engagement, and alignment throughout the program lifecycle.
- Performance Monitoring and Reporting: Develop program performance metrics, dashboards, and reports to track program progress, identify variances, and communicate program status to stakeholders and senior management.
- Continuous Improvement: Identify opportunities for process improvement, efficiency gains, and innovation in program management practices. Implement lessons learned and share best practices across programs and teams.
- Vendor and Contract Management: Oversee vendor selection, contracting, and relationship management for program-related services and solutions. Ensure compliance with contractual obligations and manage vendor performance.
- Risk Management: Identify program risks and develop risk management strategies to mitigate potential impacts. Foster a culture of risk awareness and proactive risk management within the program management function.
- Education and Experience: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field, such as program management, business administration, or engineering. Extensive experience in program management, including leadership roles overseeing complex programs and teams.
- Program Management Expertise: In-depth knowledge of program management principles, methodologies, and tools, such as PMBOK, Agile, or Six Sigma. Certification in Program Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent is often preferred.
- Leadership and Management Skills: Strong leadership abilities to inspire and motivate teams, drive program success, and foster a collaborative work environment. Experience in managing and developing a team of program managers.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to align program management strategies with organizational goals and priorities. Experience in developing and implementing program management frameworks and practices.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Excellent communication skills to effectively interact with stakeholders at all levels. Ability to convey complex program information in a clear and concise manner.
- Financial and Business Acumen: Proficiency in financial management, budgeting, and cost control within a program environment. Understanding of business dynamics and the ability to align program outcomes with business objectives.
- Problem-Solving and Critical Thinking: Strong problem-solving skills to analyze program issues, interpret data, and make informed decisions. Ability to balance competing priorities and manage program constraints.
- Change Management: Experience in managing change within a program environment and facilitating organizational adoption of program management practices. Ability to navigate through resistance and drive change initiatives.
- Stakeholder Management: Strong stakeholder management skills to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Ability to influence and negotiate to achieve program objectives.
Remember that specific job descriptions for a Director of Program Management may vary depending on the organization, industry, and specific requirements. The above description provides a general overview of the responsibilities and qualifications typically associated with this role.