Population as of 2020: 1,271,845 We compiled a list of the top employers in the New…
Dental Hygienist Job Description
The following is a sample job description for a Dental Hygienist to reference when building your resume. Assess the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers expect in this field.
Dental Hygienists are responsible for the overall oral health of their patients. They assist dentists with routine treatments and procedures, including cleaning teeth, removing plaque and tartar, and educating patients on proper oral care.
Dental Hygienists work in a wide variety of settings including private practices, dental schools, community health centers, and public health agencies. They may also be employed in other non-clinical positions such as laboratory managers or educators.
Additional Dental Hygienist resume strategies for this can be found here.
- Providing advice and instruction on oral hygiene and dental health to patients and their families.
- Identifying and evaluating factors which indicate the need for and performing (1) oral prophylaxis, which includes supragingival and subgingival debridement of plaque, and detection and removal of calculus with instruments or any other devices.
- Performing preventive dental care services, such as teeth cleaning, removal of plaque and tartar, polishing teeth, and application of fluoride varnish.
- Providing education on plaque control, diet, and nutrition.
- Performing diagnostic procedures to detect oral diseases in patients; applying local anesthetics; removing sutures; preparing impressions for dentures or other prosthetic appliances; fabricating temporary restorations (bridges); and placing oral surgical splints.
- Inspecting patients’ teeth and gums to detect tooth decay, gum disease, and other problems.
- Scaling teeth to remove plaque and tartar deposits that form on the surfaces of teeth.
- Completion of an accredited dental hygiene program.
- Must be licensed as a dental hygienist in the state where the position is located.
- Must have an active local anesthesia permit in the state where the position is located.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience working as a dental hygienist in a dental office setting.
- Must be able to work independently, but also be able to work well with others when needed.
- Must have excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Able to work well under pressure, with a sense of urgency.
- Able to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Work independently with little or no supervision.
If you would like more help with your resume, check out our Resume Writing Package, Resume Bundles, or contact us today for a customized quote.