This is an example of a Demand Planner job description for a reference when building your resume. Analyze the qualifications and requirements listed to get an understanding of what you need to include on your resume for what employers would look for in this field.
As a Demand Planner, your primary responsibility is to forecast and manage the demand for products or services within an organization. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, analyze historical data, and leverage market intelligence to develop accurate demand forecasts. Your role involves optimizing inventory levels, improving supply chain efficiency, and ensuring customer satisfaction through effective demand planning and inventory management.
Additional strategies for this can be found here.
- Demand Forecasting: Analyze historical sales data, market trends, and customer behavior to develop accurate demand forecasts for products or services. Utilize statistical models, forecasting software, and market research to project future demand patterns and trends.
- Collaborative Forecasting: Collaborate with sales, marketing, and product teams to gather insights and inputs for demand forecasting. Conduct regular meetings and discussions to align forecast assumptions, address sales and marketing initiatives, and incorporate market intelligence.
- Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP): Participate in sales and operations planning meetings to align demand forecasts with production and inventory plans. Collaborate with production, procurement, and logistics teams to ensure supply meets projected demand.
- Inventory Management: Optimize inventory levels by balancing customer service levels, working capital requirements, and production lead times. Monitor inventory turnover, identify slow-moving or excess stock, and recommend strategies to reduce holding costs while maintaining customer satisfaction.
- Demand Analysis and Reporting: Analyze demand patterns, sales trends, and forecast accuracy to provide insights and recommendations to management. Prepare reports and presentations on demand forecasts, inventory levels, and key performance indicators (KPIs) to support decision-making.
- New Product Introductions: Collaborate with product management and sales teams to develop demand forecasts for new product introductions. Utilize market research, competitor analysis, and historical data to estimate demand for new offerings.
- Demand Sensing: Monitor and analyze real-time demand signals, such as point-of-sale data, market trends, and customer feedback, to adjust demand forecasts in response to changing market conditions. Utilize demand sensing techniques to improve forecast accuracy and responsiveness.
- Continuous Improvement: Identify opportunities to improve demand planning processes, forecasting methodologies, and systems. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement process enhancements, automation, and best practices in demand planning.
- Demand Collaboration with Suppliers: Collaborate with suppliers to share demand forecasts, improve supplier visibility, and enhance supply chain collaboration. Facilitate discussions on lead times, order quantities, and supplier performance to optimize supply chain efficiency.
- Market Intelligence: Stay updated on industry trends, market dynamics, and competitive landscape to incorporate external factors into demand forecasts. Monitor macroeconomic indicators, customer preferences, and regulatory changes to anticipate demand shifts and adjust forecasts accordingly.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management, business administration, or a related field. Advanced degree or relevant certifications (e.g., CPIM) are advantageous.
- Proven experience as a Demand Planner or in a similar role, preferably in a manufacturing or distribution environment.
- Strong knowledge of demand planning methodologies, statistical analysis, and forecasting techniques.
- Proficiency in demand planning software and enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to analyze data, identify patterns, and make informed decisions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with cross-functional teams and stakeholders.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel or other data analysis tools.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in demand forecasting and data analysis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Familiarity with inventory management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of supply chain concepts and processes.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office and demand planning software.
This job description provides a general overview of the responsibilities and qualifications typically associated with the role of a Demand Planner. Actual job descriptions may vary depending on the organization’s industry, size, and specific requirements.