skip to Main Content

Career Licenses for Insurance Professionals

Today, insurance professionals have many different career options. They can work as agents, brokers, and consultants. They may also work in underwriting, claims management or risk management. All of them require a license to get licensed and practice insurance. Once completing these programs successfully, list the designation on your resume and LinkedIn profile for hiring managers and recruiters to notice your level of expertise.

To help you decide which designation is right for you, we’ve outlined some key differences between each type: 

Life & Health License

The Life & Health License is an insurance professional who has expertise in both the field of life and health insurance. These professionals will be able to help you determine what kind of coverage is best for your needs, as well as how much it will cost. They can also provide guidance on how to manage medical expenses in case they arise during the term of your policy. A life & health license holder may be asked to use their knowledge about health issues when making decisions about whether or not certain types of coverage are appropriate for clients based on age or other factors such as occupation (for example: business owner).

Agency and Individual Resident License

Agency agents are individuals who sell insurance products. They are licensed by the state to sell insurance policies, but they may work with other professionals such as brokers or underwriters. Agency licenses are typically issued to people who want to work as an independent agent and do not want to be part of a company-sponsored sales team. Individual resident licenses allow you to act as an intermediary between two parties when they need help finding out more about certain types of policies or services offered by your company (for example, if you have been given authority over a particular aspect).

Accident and Health License

The Accident and Health License (AHL) is a national licensing requirement for all agents who sell life, health or annuity products in the United States. If you’re interested in becoming an AHL-licensed agent but don’t meet all requirements for this designation, it’s still possible—and highly recommended—to pursue additional training so that you can successfully market these products after gaining your AHL status

Fire & Casualty License

A Fire & Casualty License is a commercial insurance license that allows you to sell policies in the fire and property lines of insurance. This type of license can be obtained by becoming a member of a state or national association, like the National Insurance Institute (NI). The NI offers training programs for its members; however, there are other options as well such as attending college classes on-site at colleges and universities offering accredited degrees in this field. 

Life only Agent

The Life Only Agent is a person who has been licensed by the state to sell life insurance. The term “life” refers to all types of permanent and term insurance, including annuities (investments that pay a fixed amount each year) and variable life insurance (which pays out based on the insured’s health).

Life only agents can also sell variable health, accident & health, and other types of non-life products. They do not have authority over legal matters such as divorce proceedings or estate planning services.

Personal Lines Broker Agent

As a Personal Lines Broker Agent, you will be responsible for selling insurance products and services to consumers. You’ll also be responsible for selling insurance products and services to businesses. If you want to run your own agency or join an existing one, this designation is perfect for you.

Broker – Agent Fire & Casualty

Broker-agent is a person who sells insurance to others.

A broker-agent is also known as an agent, as they are licensed to sell life, health, accident and property and casualty insurance products. They can be hired by individuals or companies to help them find the best policy options for their needs.

Limited Lines Automobile

A Limited Lines Automobile is an agent who works with insurance companies, not directly with consumers. They represent the interests of their clients in negotiations with insurers and help them understand how car insurance works.

Limited Lines Automobile Agents are responsible for helping their clients obtain auto coverages at competitive rates through independent agencies, brokers or insurers. They also negotiate payment schedules on behalf of their customers when submitting claims for damages sustained in an accident or theft incident.

A Limited Lines Automobile Broker is someone who handles all aspects of property-related issues such as: buying/selling homes; renting out rooms/units; arranging mortgages; relocation services (moving houses). The job description includes negotiating contracts between parties involved so that everything goes smoothly when necessary situations arise during negotiations over ownership rights among others things like rent payments etc..

Adjuster License

An Adjuster License is a professional designation that allows an individual to perform certain insurance-related activities. It is not a specific certification or degree, but rather a designation that indicates they have passed a written exam.

Adjusters work for insurance companies and help determine how much money should be paid out to cover losses in cases of damage or injury caused by events such as fire, theft (burglary), natural disasters like hurricanes or floods, medical malpractice lawsuits against doctors/nurses etc., personal injury claims from car accidents such as hit-and-run accidents where no one was hurt but there was property damage involved as well as other types of injuries sustained during these types of incidents involving motor vehicles vehicles like trucks tractor trailers etc…

Property & Casualty License

A Property and Casualty License is designed for those who are interested in working with insurance. This type of license can be obtained through the state, federal or even local governments. There are many benefits that come with having this kind of license including:

  • You will have access to specific markets where you can apply your skills and experience as an expert in the field of insurance.
  • You will also have access to more opportunities when it comes to job openings that require knowledge about property & casualty products (i.e., auto insurance).

Third Party Administrators

Third party administrators are companies that provide insurance to individuals and businesses. They’re a cost-effective way to get insurance, because you don’t have to pay for the premiums yourself. With third party administrators, you can choose from many different types of policies—such as homeowners’ or renters’ insurance—and select the one that best fits your needs.

This job designation requires good knowledge of financial issues and business practices related to risk management, such as managing claims processes and handling claims against an organization (e.g., loss prevention). You’ll also need excellent communication skills so that clients understand what they’re getting when they purchase coverage from your company.

This is a list of licenses that insurance professionals need in order to be listed in the industry. When reviewing the licenses, check the requirements needed before starting to register for the exam, etc. For various educational requirements, you can visit ExamFx and select the applicable license.

If you need any assistance with navigating your career, contact us for a customized approach to your needs. 

Back To Top